Tuesday, November 2, 2010

update

This is Becky.  Tara really cannot type yet; I am hopeful she will regain full use of her left arm soon!  She is very tired today; both from the meds and the actual seizures.  She had seizures yesterday on and off for 3 hours.  Her left arm would spasm out and wildly flail around.  Her left side of her face also was numb.  Anyway, we never met with Shapiro today - he reviewed Tara's case without seeing her and will see her next week; so we still have no real answers as to why this happened.  It could be one of several things:  scar tissue (but why now after 5 months?), fluid (likely the case), blood in the brain, or other causes.  We just don't know and hopefully Dr. Shapiro can figure it out from the CT scan.  They did say last night there may be a spot on the scan; possibly a blood spot or something.

Tara is supposed to rest and she could possibly feel more adjusted to the Dilantin by Thursday (anti-seizure med).  She has ordered me to Houston for the quilt festival I planned months ago.  She will have someone with her at all times this week; and has assured me there is not much I can do since we can't see doctors until next week; so off I go.  It will be tough not to think of Tara every minute; but I will try.  I leave in the morning....

Tara remained positive throughout the evening - her comment when we waited for hours to hear from a neurologist was the following:  "It must be good news because they are attending others worse off than me.  If it was bad for me, then the doctors would be here."  She still managed to smile and laugh at herself while her arm flailed around wildly.  I was bothered by her arm flailing around; but Tara just dealt with in her usual manner; laughing at herself.  Josh is very sweet to her and helps her smile.  We watched more TV last night than we had watched in 6 months (we don't have cable.......) and I got way too much quilting done waiting for those neurologists who never came.  All we ever talked to was a resident.... but such is life.  I still believe she is in good hands...  She hasn't had any more seizures and seems to be stabilizing; so that's good.

Thanks all for your love and concern!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will all pray extra duty this week in Becky's absence. Bless you girl - but I guess no one promised it would be fun!
Fran K

Heidi said...

I hope Tara is having a better day today! Love you all and of course still praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Much love and prayers for Tara, Josh and your entire family. Keep the faith.

M

Mandy Lynn said...

Wow I'm so sorry to hear about this. Tara I'm glad your scans were good and sorry about the seizures. That is so nice of you to insist your mom goes to her quilting event this week. I'm in AZ right now and my mom and I would be happy to help if there is anything we can possibly do. Please have anyone call us if we can help 480-369-5779. You could also email me at mandyclive@gmail.com We would be honored to help. We think of you often and pray for you and your family to be blessed and comforted throughout this trial. I've been through some trials of my own recently and your faith and optimism has really helped me. Thanks for being you, and please let me know if I can help!

Mandy Miller Clive