Thursday, February 9, 2023

We finally have a plan.



Man, did we waver… back and forth after talking to each doctor. The decision we made was an incredibly hard one but we both feel it is the correct choice. 


Lobectomy- Dr. Smith is going in again. (If you have been counting, it is  brain surgery #9). He is going to take out my right occipital lobe and hopefully all the cancer in it. Smith is going to be aggressive. This will take my left peripheral vision but my left leg and memory should be fine. I went to the zoo today and walked around a lot! You all can call me an air head…I will be missing a lot more of that right side of my brain but I should function okay! Josh can still love me and I can still momma my babies. 


Brachytherapy- radiation delivered straight to the cells instead of beam therapy (which is what I had last time). Smith will create a cavity by resecting brain tissue and then will fill it with the brachytherapy seeds. 


It is a big surgery but we’re hoping this aggressive approach will pay off… we’re playing the long game over here. 


I think we have driven all the doctors crazy this week. We had Smith call us personally in NM and then Kennedy and Yoo did the same. A week later we had in person visits hashing out all the same stuff again. We had different doctors telling us different things to do and we were stuck in the middle choosing between them all! It was incredibly stressful but we have reached a decision. As we called to tell the doctors we weren’t going through with their plans we were met with plenty of kick back but the truth is, what they are currently doing, isn’t working… it isn’t so we are going to Ty something new… this is not protocol but Smith firmly believes this will be protocol in coming years. There is so much more that has gone on this week…I could write a book but am don’t want to over do my eyes/processing power. 


So yes, I am having surgery and yes I am having radiation…just delivered a different method. 


Yes to the chemo…that will hopefully start March 9th. 

Yes to the opting cap… that will start March 9th.    https://www.optune.com/recently-diagnosed/get-to-know-optune


Yes to me having a better attitude. I don’t want to waste a day.


YES to Josh being here. LOVE him. 

YES to my kidlets here!! 


Surgery is the 16th. ( I could go on and on about the date but I will let you off early.)


Let’s quit while I am ahead and seizure free. 


If I am doing well Ill share our fellowship update tomorrow. 


Love, Me

7 comments:

Jennifer Freeman Noble said...

Love you so much Tara! You and Josh are amazing and we will be praying for you that surgery and radiation goes well and does it's job!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Tara. The Vogelsang’s are praying for you!

Ann Marie Dike said...

Praying. Praying. Praying. And your names are in the temple. You and your sweet family are in the arms of your Savior. You’ve got this!

Anonymous said...

Always praying for you and for your healing! Love you and am supporting you from far away!

Anonymous said...

The other day I was down about something going on in my life...then I immediately thought about you and told myself "If Tara can fight and work hard at something so incredibly hard, then I can go through my tiny struggle". You inspired me and you are in my thoughts and prayers!

-Cami nicoll Nielsen

Anonymous said...

Love you Tara❤️. Being brave with you—always sending you and your family strength, clarity, understanding and the magic of miracles

Trisha johnson said...

I love you! I believe in you! I believe in the power of prayer! Sending you tons of love and prayers. ❤️